Point Reduction Course
The Defensive Driving Course takes 10% off your Liability and Collision insurance.
If insurance is costing you $2000 a year you will save 10% ($200 for the next 3 years) That is $600 savings by taking this class!
This course applies to ALL license types and will give you a savings of 10% on your liability insurance. In order to continue receiving that 10% discount you must take the course every 3 years. To reduce up to 4 points off your driving record you can take the course every 18 months. You can take this course online or at one of our Queens, Brooklyn, and Bronx locations. Call 718-278-6679 to Schedule a Class or Take Online
If your license has already been revoked or suspended, or if a violation hearing has already been scheduled, point reduction will not affect that action. Point reduction does not prevent or cancel a mandatory revocation or suspension for violations such as DWI, DWAI, or 3 speeding violations within an 18 month period.
The course sponsor (New York Safety Program) will notify the DMV within 10 weeks after you complete the course. A notice will then be entered on your driving record, and the DMV computer will automatically reduce your active point total by up to 4 points. Point reduction will affect only points accumulated during the 18 months prior to course completion. Even after you complete the course, most violations, convictions and points assessed will continue to show on your driving record for up to 4 years. Violations and convictions involving drugs or alcohol will remain on your driving record for 10 years. “Point Reduction” means the DMV will not count up to four points on your driving record towards revocation or suspension of your drivers license.
- All drivers, regardless of their violation and/or accident record.
- Youthful drivers in addition to discounts for drivers education training.
- Assigned “risk” drivers.
- Commercial Vehicle Operators
- Drivers of ALL ages
- Speeding MPH not specified – 3
- Speeding MPH over limit: 1 to 10 – 3
- Speeding MPH over limit: 11 to 20 – 4
- Speeding MPH over limit: 21 to 30 – 6
- Speeding MPH over limit: 31 to 40 – 8
- More than 40 MPH – 11
- Reckless driving – 5
- Failing to stop for school bus – 5
- Inadequate brakes – 4
- Following too closely (tailgating) – 4
- Improper passing, unsafe lane change, drove left of center, or drove wrong direction – 3
- Violation involving a traffic signal, stop sign or yield sign – 3
- Failing to yield right-of-way – 3
- Railroad crossing violation – 3
- Leaving scene of incident involving property damage or injury to domestic animal – 3
- Safety restraint violation involving person under 16 – 3
- Inadequate brakes (while driving employer’s vehicle) – 2
- Any other moving violation -2
The course is approximately 6 hours long and is given in a single session. Important information about traffic safety issues, driver attitude and behavior, defensive driving techniques, and the Vehicle and Traffic Law are presented.