5 Hour Class
The 5 hour Pre-licensing Class must be completed by first time license applicants. We offer this DMV approved class in our Queens, Brooklyn, and Bronx locations, but we’re currently offering the 5 Hour Class online.
The 5 Hour Class is part lecture, part film, with breaks in between. By taking this class you will be issued the MV-278 certificate which is needed in order to schedule your Road Test. On the day of your Road test you will need to bring this certificate along with your PHOTO permit to the Road test. The requirement to take this course is a picture New York State Car or Motorcycle Permit. Paper permit is not allowed.
Get On The Road To Independence
Ferrari Driving School has been teaching safe driving since 1968.
5 Hour Class FAQs
It is a DMV-approved, standardized course that provides knowledge you will need as a new driver. The course covers many important topics, including:
- Driving within the highway transportation system
- Driver habits and skills
- Feelings, attitudes and risk taking
- Alcohol, other drugs and driving
You can read the student's manual, Pre-licensing Course Student's Manual (PDF) (MV-277.1), to help you reinforce the important information contained in the Pre-Licensing Course.
When you successfully complete the course, you will be given a Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278). If you complete a high school or college driver education course, you will receive a Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), and you do not need a Pre-licensing Course Certificate. You must have one of these certificates to schedule your road test. You must bring the original certificate to your road test to turn in to the license examiner.
In order to take the mv-278 5 Hour Pre-Licensing course online, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have a current NY Photo Learners Permit OR
- A valid interim (paper) permit with a NYS Government-issued ID card (such as a Non-Driver ID Card, Expired NY Photo Permit, and/or Expired NY Photo License)
Yes, you are able to take the 5 Hour Class online. Ferrari Driving School offers the 5 Hour Class online via Zoom on the following days:
- Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm
- Friday - Sunday: 10:30am
You can read more about Governor Cuomo's Distance Learning announcement here https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-dmv-licensed-driving-schools-can-now-conduct-distance-learning-pre
Here is the schedule to the 5 Hour Pre-Licensing Course:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm
Friday - Sunday: 10:30am
The 5 Hour online class costs $60/class.
Please make sure you meet the following technical requirements for the 5 Hour Driving Class:
- You must have access to a device (smart phone, tablet, or P.C.)
- Your device must have a dependable internet connection that will last the duration of the 5 Hour Class
- Your device must have the Zoom application installed. You can download Zoom here: https://zoom.us/download
- Feel free to read this Zoom support article regarding Joining a Meeting and conducting a Test Meeting: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-meeting#:~:text=Go%20to%20join.zoom.us,client%20to%20join%20the%20meeting.
- Your device must have a functioning camera that connects to Zoom. Please Note: You must be present with the camera on the entire duration of the online 5 Hour Class
- Your device must have a functioning microphone that connects to Zoom. Please Note: Your mic must be turned OFF when not participating or it may become distracting to others
- The Zoom link for the 5 Hour online Class will be provided after the sign up process has been completed
- Please find a quiet spot with no distractions
- Keep your camera on at all times or you may be disqualified from the class
- Keep your mic OFF when not participating or it becomes distracting to others
- You will have a break in the middle of the class and are able to take restroom breaks without asking
- Make sure there's a charger for your device accessible to you, or your battery may not last the full five hours.
- At a certain point during the online course, you will be asked to text us a picture of your Learners Permit. Please make sure you are able to send the picture via text. Your 5 Hour Course Certificate will be created based on you sending this picture of your permit.
At a certain point during the 5 Hour Pre-Licensing class you will be asked to send a picture of your Learners Permit via text to a number we will provide you. Your 5 Hour Course Certificate will be created based on you sending us this picture of your Learners Permit.
A Ferrari Driving School representative will call you a few days after you've successfully completed the 5 Hour Class to confirm your mailing address. If you prefer to pick up your 5 Hour Course Certificate, please state that to the representative on the phone. Please note that Ferrari Driving School practices social distancing, and ensure you have a mask ready to use while visiting our locations.
Your 5 Hour Class Certificate is valid for one year. It is required you have your physical Certificate with your PICTURE Learners Permit on the day of the Road Test. Keep it in a safe place!
If you need training and an instructor with a vehicle for the road test, you can talk to us about that when we call.