Get learners permit (pass 20 question permit test at DMV)
Schedule the DMV required 5 hour class pre-licensing course (MV-278)
Schedule road test
Download Our Free Permit Test Prep!
Ferrari Driving School has been teaching safe driving since 1968.
Driver Training Programs
Car Training Questions
You must be 16 years of age or older to apply for a learner permit. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or your legal guardian must sign the consent section of your form MV-44 (Driver License Application). Your parent or legal guardian can sign the form before you bring it to a DMV office. Your parent or legal guardian is not required to go to the DMV office with you to sign form MV-44. You do not require consent if you are age 17 and you have a form MV-285 driver education certificate. You must have proof of identity. The proof must have a total value of at least six points and must prove your date of birth. If you do not have 6 points of proof of identity, your parent or your legal guardian can complete form MV-45 at a DMV office and show proof of identity. You must show your Social Security card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number, you must get a letter from the Social Security Administration that indicates that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number. You must show the letter to the DMV.
When You Apply for a Learner Permit:
- Complete form MV-44 (Driver License Application), and take the form, your proofs of identity, and date of birth to a local DMV office.
- Take a vision test at the DMV office, or bring a valid form MV-619 (Eye Test Report) completed by an eye-care professional. If the form MV-619 has a print date of 9/03 or earlier, the form is valid for 6 months after the date of the eye test. If the form has a print date of 3/04 or later, the eye-care professional marks a box on the form to indicate if the form is valid for 6 months or for 12 months after the date of the eye test.
- Bring cash, a personal check or a credit card to pay the application fee and the driver license fee. See the driver license fee schedule to determine your fee.
- Take the written permit test. Review the hours for written tests and any requirement for a test appointment on the local DMV office page.
- To pass the test, you must give the correct answers to at least 14 of the 20 multiple choice questions, including the correct answers to at least two of the four questions about road signs.
- If you do not pass the written test for a non-CDL class license (class D, DJ, E, M, or MJ), you can take the written test again any number of times without a limit. For the non-CDL license classes, you do not pay additional fees to take the test more than one time. If you do not pass, the DMV recommends that you study the Driver’s Manual and take the test on another day. If you pass the test, the DMV issues you a learner permit valid for approximately 5 years. The exact expiration date depends on your date of birth and the date that you applied for the permit.
- You are not required to take the written test if you have a form MV-285 driver education certificate. If you are under age 18, read the Graduated License Law section of the Resources for the Young Driver pages at this web site to learn about the restricted driving privileges for learner permits and junior licenses.
Whether you are a beginner or advanced driver, we recommend taking an evaluation lesson and letting an instructor give you an honest opinion on your skill level. Your instructor will also recommend give you a hours of training recommendation. 90% of our students who follow the recommendation of their instructor PASS on their FIRST time. Learning to drive is a one time investment in yourself. Do not cheat yourself by trying to cut corners; your success and future safety is important to us. Check out our video below.
This video will cover the New York DMV Car Road Test what to bring on your road test day what to expect how you can improve your chances of PASSING.
The 5 hour Pre-licensing Class must be completed by first time license applicants. We offer this DMV approved class in our Queens, Brooklyn, & Bronx locations. The 5 hour class is part lecture, part film, and breaks in between. By taking this class you will be issued the MV-278 certificate which is needed in order to schedule your Road Test. On the day of your Road test you will need to bring the MV-278 certificate along with your PHOTO permit to the Road test.
We have spent many years creating our easy to understand 5 levels of training. It will allow you and your instructor to identify and focus on the areas you need work on:Learning the basics. Brake , steering, gas, and signaling. How far and fast the car moves. Where, when, and how to observe. Develop Judgment through structured experiences and repetition. Approaching Intersections judging traffic and road conditions. Becoming Semi-Independent; learning to Anticipate hazards and React accordinglyBecoming Independent, confident and in control of most situations. Students at this level should pass the road test. Fully independent, highly skilled, mature judgment under the most challenging situations.
What separates Ferrari from other schools is the amount of training and support we give our Instructors. We only hire based on their experience, patience, and their dedication to helping YOU become a safe licensed driver.
Our fleet of modern Toyota Corollas are dual controlled. Dual controlled means the instructor has a brake pedal on his side for safety. The Corolla is the perfect size for training and has great visibility from all windows.
Are you planning on purchasing a manual transmission car or renting a car overseas?Driving a stick shift car can be a lot of fun. Learn on OUR vehicle the proper way to avoid burning the clutch! Contact us at 718-278-6679 for options and pricing.
YES you will and practice many things on the evaluation lesson. If you want to be able to cover even more material we recommend the double evaluation which is basically double the time. Remember this will be is an opportunity to evaluate us!
Click here to study online Fill out our contact form and select the free practice test you would like. The URL address for the TEST is shown immediately after submitting your information.
If you learned to drive in another state or another country we can help. We know you don’t need to learn the ABC’s all over again but we also know that every day driving and preparing for the road test are two different things. We recommend scheduling an evaluation lesson as soon as possible to see where you stand and prepare you for the exam. If you haven’t done so already you should schedule the mandatory 5hr Class. This class certificate is needed in order to schedule your road test and we can do that for you during the class.
OK, so you have some experience but need to take your driving to the next level right. The BEST thing to do is set up an evaluation lesson and let your instructor give you an honest opinion on where you stand and what you will need to feel more confident and ultimately PASS the exam.
In many ways it better to start off with no experience. People with “some” experience many times have bad habits which take extra time to break. Our instructors specialize in beginner drivers and our “From the Curb” exercises is a proven method for getting you out on the road safety and with the proper foundation. Start off with an Evaluation Lesson and let your instructor give you an honest opinion on what you will need. This lesson is also an opportunity for you to evaluate us!
Ferrari Driving School can train students on our vehicles or yours if you require a steering wheel spinner- left foot accelerator. Training is done in either 1. 5 hr sessions or 2. 25 hr sessions.
Visit https://dmv.ny.gov/offices to find a location near you.
- Jamaica: 168-46 91st Avenue Jamaica, NY 11432
- Springfield Gardens: 168-35 Rockaway Blvd. Jamaica, NY 11434
- College Point: 30-56 Whitestone Expressway Flushing NY 11354
- Atlantic Center: 625 Atlantic Ave 2nd Fl Brooklyn, NY 11217
- Coney Island: 2875 West 8th Street Brooklyn, NY 11224
- Registration Office: 696 East Fordam Road Bronx, NY 10458
- Lower Manhattan: 11 Greenwich Street New York, NY 10004
- Harlem: 159 East 125th Street New York, NY 10035
- 141 East Service Road Staten Island, NY