Online 5 Hour Pre-licensing Class
The pre-licensing class is a mandatory five-hour course that all learner’s permit holders, aged 18 and older, must take before getting their driver’s license in New York. This class covers the basics of safe driving, including the rules of the road, defensive driving techniques, and how to operate a vehicle.
Register Online for 5 Hour Class MV-278
It is a DMV-approved, standardized course that provides knowledge you will need as a new driver. The course covers many important topics, including:
- Driving within the highway transportation system
- Driver habits and skills
- Feelings, attitudes and risk taking
- Alcohol, other drugs and driving
You can read the student’s manual, Pre-licensing Course Student’s Manual (PDF) (MV-277.1), to help you reinforce the important information contained in the Pre-Licensing Course.
When you successfully complete the course, you will be given a Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278). If you complete a high school or college driver education course, you will receive a Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), and you do not need a Pre-licensing Course Certificate. You must have one of these certificates to schedule your road test. You must bring the original certificate to your road test to turn in to the license examiner.
In order to take the mv-278 5 Hour Pre-Licensing course online, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have a current NY Photo Learners Permit OR
- A valid interim (paper) permit with a NYS Government-issued ID card (such as a Non-Driver ID Card, Expired NY Photo Permit, and/or Expired NY Photo License)
Yes, the class is available online from Ferrari Driving School. The course is fun and interactive, with breaks in between to allow you to rest and reflect on what you’ve learned.
All you need is a computer, tablet, or smartphone with internet access. We offer the course via Zoom, a popular video conferencing app that can be easily downloaded to both Android and iOS devices.
You don’t need to create an account to take the class. After you sign up, we will send you a link to join the class. All you have to do is click on the link at the designated time, and you will be able to see and hear the instructor.
Ferrari Driving School has been around for more than half a century, and our team of DMV-licensed instructors has the experience and knowledge to help you complete your pre-licensing class with ease. Our DMV-approved course meets all the requirements set forth by the State of New York.
Here is the schedule to the 5 Hour Pre-Licensing Course:
Tuesday – Thursday: 5:30pm
Friday – Sunday: 10:30am
The cost of the 5 hour class online is only $60, and we offer additional discounts for those taking driving lessons with us. It’ll be free if you take more than 21 hours of behind-the-wheel training with us.
You can pay online or over the phone. We accept all major credit cards and PayPal. Once you’ve completed the payment, we’ll send you a confirmation email with all the details you need to know for the class, including the link to join the live session.
Please make sure you meet the following technical requirements for the 5 Hour Driving Class:
- You must have access to a device (smart phone, tablet, or P.C.)
- Your device must have a dependable internet connection that will last the duration of the 5 Hour Class
- Your device must have the Zoom application installed. You can download Zoom here: https://zoom.us/download
- Feel free to read this Zoom support article regarding Joining a Meeting and conducting a Test Meeting: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-meeting#:~:text=Go%20to%20join.zoom.us,client%20to%20join%20the%20meeting.
- Your device must have a functioning camera that connects to Zoom. Please Note: You must be present with the camera on the entire duration of the online 5 Hour Class
- Your device must have a functioning microphone that connects to Zoom. Please Note: Your mic must be turned OFF when not participating or it may become distracting to others
- The Zoom link for the 5 Hour online Class will be provided after the sign up process has been completed
- Please find a quiet spot with no distractions
- Keep your camera on at all times or you may be disqualified from the class
- Keep your mic OFF when not participating or it becomes distracting to others
- You will have a break in the middle of the class and are able to take restroom breaks without asking
- Make sure there’s a charger for your device accessible to you, or your battery may not last the full five hours.
- At a certain point during the online course, you will be asked to text us a picture of your Learners Permit. Please make sure you are able to send the picture via text. Your 5 Hour Course Certificate will be created based on you sending this picture of your permit.
At a certain point during the 5 Hour Pre-Licensing class you will be asked to send a picture of your Learners Permit via text to a number we will provide you. Your 5 Hour Course Certificate will be created based on you sending us this picture of your Learners Permit.
A Ferrari Driving School representative will call you a few days after you’ve successfully completed the 5 Hour Class to confirm your mailing address. If you prefer to pick up your 5 Hour Course Certificate, please state that to the representative on the phone. Please note that Ferrari Driving School practices social distancing, and ensure you have a mask ready to use while visiting our locations.
Your 5 Hour Class Certificate is valid for one year. It is required you have your physical Certificate with your PICTURE Learners Permit on the day of the Road Test. Keep it in a safe place!
If you need training and an instructor with a vehicle for the road test, you can talk to us about that when we call.
As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, many people are choosing to take the pre-licensing class online from the comfort of their own homes. This is an excellent option for those who don’t live near a physical driving school or for those who want to avoid having to leave their house and interact with others.
Apart from safety concerns, taking the class online has another significant advantage: it’s more convenient. You can take the course at any time that works for you without worrying about making it to a physical classroom on time. Anybody living in New York knows how unpredictable the traffic can be, so this is a real plus.
You’ll learn the basics of safe driving, including the rules of the road, defensive driving techniques, and how to operate a vehicle. You’ll also have a chance to ask questions and get feedback from our experienced instructors. By the end of the course, you’ll have a good understanding of what it takes to protect yourself and others while on the road.
We know that taking the pre-licensing class is not the most exciting way to spend five hours, but we promise that our online course is as painless as possible. The best thing? This class doesn’t have a test at the end. In other words, nobody will fail, and nobody will grade you. We are certain that you will find the class informative, helpful, and even enjoyable. After all, it’s about learning how to stay safe behind the wheel – something that we should all be concerned about.
Ferrari Driving School’s main objective is to help you become a safer and more responsible driver. We want to give you the skills and knowledge you need to be successful on the road. We’ll also provide you with resources that you can use after the class is over.
Yes, you must take our pre-licensing class before starting your practical driving lessons. The course will give you a good foundation of safe driving practices, which will help you during your lessons. The only requirement is that you hold a valid learner’s permit. If you don’t have one yet, you can apply online or at your local DMV office. If you want to know how to pass a learner’s permit test, we can help with that too.
If you lose your certificate of completion, don’t worry. You reach out to us, and we will be happy to send you a new one. Please note that there is a $25 fee for replacing a lost or damaged certificate.